Tuesday, May 15, 2012

CNBC does not understand "arbitrage"

It should come as no surprise that a network of journalists who have never traded a share, a currency, an option, or a future in their lives repeatedly cite and support the "research" of Nanex/Themis.  I overheard a segment this morning regarding the "time arbitrage" between Chicago and NYC, and citing "investigative work" by the CEO of Nanex, they attempt to explain an arbitrage conducted at "the speed of light."

The trade in question consists of "someone" buying 1,300 ES contracts and simultaneously buying 260,000 shares of SPY within the same millisecond - somehow creating an arbitrage.  How two simultaneous purchases of the same vehicle creates an arbitrage opportunity, I have no idea. 

I can't figure out how to embed the video, but you can find it here.  Thoughts?

4 comments:

Craig said...

Not a Nanex fan?

JW said...

No sir, they are chasing the ghost in the machine and spinning it off as academic research.

Craig said...

Ha!
In response to your post, I have no idea how that constitutes an arb.

Hall said...

I think Ina Drew has been watching too much CNBC